A Brief History of South Kyme
Where do I start? The Coritani ? The recorded history of South Kyme goes back to Mediaeval times. The name of South Chime appears in the Domesday Book (1086). At this time the estates belonged to the king, William the Conqueror.
Around 1100 AD South Kyme passed into the possession of William de Kyme whose family built a castle, all but a single tower of which has either fallen into ruins or otherwise demolished. This splendid edifice is now known simply as Kyme Tower.
About 1169 Kyme Abbey, an Augustinian monastery was built by Philip de Kyme, on the highest ground ... an island on the fen. There is evidence that an Anglo Saxon Priory stood on the site in the 7th or 8th century. There is also evidence of an iron age settlement in the area. So although we cannot be certain of the exact origin of our village, it certainly goes back at least 1000 years. The de Kyme dynasty remained here until 1338.
Dynastic families succeeding de Kyme:
1338 - 1380 de Umfreville, descendants of William a relative of William the Conqueror.
1380 - 1530 Tailboys - Later members of the family had strong links with the Court of Henry VIII. Gilbert Tailboys was married to Elizabeth Blount, a lady in Waiting to Queen Catherine of Aragon. Elizabeth, was a mistress of Henry VIII and mother of Henry VIII’s illegitimate son. It is said that she was ‘married off’ to Gilbert Tailboys thereby banishing her to an almost inaccessible place and out of the way of Court.
1530 - 1730 The Dymokes - Also had strong links with the Tudors and the Stuarts. The family were champions to the monarchs for most of their 200 year tenure.
1730 - 1748 Duke of Newcastle, Thomas Pelham-Holles, Whig Secretary of State and later, Prime Minister. Although he was the owner, he left the estates in the capable hands of an agent, Langley Gace.
1748 - 1810 The Hume family of Hertfordshire, who were mainly absentee landlords. Like Pelham-Holles, their predecessor, they were members of parliament and spent their time mainly at Westminster.
1810 - 1975 The Cust family better known as the Earls Brownlow of Belton , were descended from Sir Abraham Hume, 1st Baronet. The Hon. Ernest Richard Charles Cust was a great benefactor of the village church and his initials, ERCC, can be seen on the old school house and on several of the village houses.
NB. The underlined names in the above text are linked to Wikipedia for more information
Above information is from the book, ' South Kyme The History of a Fenland Village' by Margaret Newton
Remembering those young men from South Kyme who died in WW I .... Click here
And in WW II, those from further afield who were so close to making it home ....Click here
Ancient Woodland - Old Wood, which is on the left hand side as you leave the north-western end of the village appears in the Ancient woodland inventory. So this suggests woodland has always been present on this site since at least 1600 AD. In theory it could even stretch back to the end of the last ice age (or when it was last covered by the sea!). In “South Kyme” by Margaret Newton, it indicates that the Domesday book recorded 210 acres of woodland for “Chime” in one land holding and 82 acres of “underwood or coppiced land “ in the other. Conceivably “Old Wood” is a surviving remnant. Old Wood is probably the most under researched antiquity in the village and it would be really helpful if any estate records or other historical documents could be found to reveal some of its history.
Coritani - A British tribe and civitas. There has been much debate about the name of this tribe, and some believe it was called the Corieltauvi. There is no good reason, however, to discard the spelling provided by the geographer Ptolemy, who recorded them as the Coritani. It occupied the territory between the rivers Welland and Humber, fringed on the west by the southern Pennines. To judge from their pre-invasion coinage, which often bears two names, it is possible that the leadership of the tribe was split between two kings or chiefs. If so, one might suggest that they ruled from the two major Iron Age centres known in the tribal territory at Old Sleaford and Leicester. The impression of the tribe at the time of the Roman conquest is that it was not yet united into a single powerful kingdom. This may explain the rapid Roman advance through their territory, culminating in the foundation of a legionary fortress at Lincoln c. ad 60. The pacified tribe were awarded local self-government as a civitas a decade or two later, with Leicester, known as Ratae Coritanorum, as its administrative centre.
For more information visit: http://www.roman-britain.org/tribes/coritani.htm
Please support your village website.
PayPal account not necessary
Thank You to those that contributed in 2012/13
|About Our Village|
|Short Mat Bowls|